For those who may not know, Thirteen Reasons Why is the title of a book first published in 2007 and recently adapted to a Netflix Series. The story follows a fictional teenager named Hannah and, in short, how she shares her thirteen reasons for deciding to take her own life. For various reasons, the book and series have captured national interest with many believing the story “glorifies” suicide. Many young adults are reading the book (a New York Times best-seller) while many parents are concerned about the messages youth are receiving.
One thing it does do is generate conversation and I’m honored to have been invited to participate in a Coffee Talk with Pastor Reeni Cipullo. This informal discussion of the book and Netflix Series will tackle questions like
- Do books and films like this glamorize suicide?
- Were Hannah’s reasons for taking her life valid?
- Why are young adults captivated by the book/film?
- What does the book/film say about adults?
- Should I read/see it if I haven’t?
- For those who have read/seen it, how did it impact you?
- and any questions or concerns you might have.
This is a free event with an opportunity to get the facts and discuss your concerns and questions around the story and issues young adults face. All are welcomed!
I have created a resource page for information on this topic and will have additional material available at the Coffee Talk!